Waking up to the cold air arising out from sleep, I see the light shining through my covers, as I’m moving every so slightly in my bed trying to find just the right warm spot. I’m suddenly convicted as the inclination to reach over and pick up my Bible begins to run through my mind, and though I want to get a full night’s rest and keep warm, I know it’s time to get up and start the day.
I haven’t been reading my Bible as much as I used to, and as much as I would like to, because reading the Bible to me is like working out my spirit mind, it just gives me energy, motivation, revelations.. But, since I haven’t been reading in a routine way as of late, it’s hard to get back to where I want to be. Right now I need a good reading pattern and a new desire for it, that I feel good with. It’s like this, I love going to the gym and working out; but, when I stop going for a while it’s hard to get back into it consistently, where my body is actually benefiting from it; and I’m not just going just to go. But, I feel like I’m getting back into the groove of reading my Bible, writing, playing my guitar… I guess just being creative 🙂 .
For the last couple of weeks I’ve been feeling the need to get back to the gospel of Christ, so right now I’m just going through the gospels, and presently I’m in the early chapters of Luke.
I was reading about John the Baptist and his ministry, and three things came off of the page and into my spirit as I was reading. These revelations are just a few that I received as I was reading just one chapter of the Bible! But, I feel it’s not about how much you read, it’s what you get out of the things that you read.
1. The place where John the Baptist received the call of God to enter into his ministry. [Luke 3:2 – …the word of God came to John, the son of Zacharias, in the wilderness.]
- John didn’t hear the word of God calling him while he was in the temple, or what we now call church. God called him while he was ‘in the wilderness‘. And, how I interpreted that today, was that God looks to speak to those who are able to give their focus totally upon him. And, if you are giving your attention and energy to a lot of different areas of interest, you might need to re-evaluate your priorities, and maybe drop some those things to give God some attention, if you want to hear from Him.
2. The core message that John the Baptist preached. [Luke 3:3 – And he came into all the district around the Jordan, preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins]
- John the Baptist’s message was so simple, it was just repent and God will forgive your sins. He just said, “Stop sinning. Repent and be baptised, because God loves you.” He didn’t ask anyone for anything, and he didn’t attract people with a nice building or good music. People came to him because they were led by their spirit, not their minds.
3. There is a difference between speaking Truth and being Judgmental; this is something many people cannot discern. [Luke 3:7-8 Message version – … John exploded: “Brood of snakes! What do you think you’re doing slithering down here to the river? Do you think a little water on your snake-skins is going to deflect God’s judgment? It’s your life that must change, not your skin.]
- John didn’t judge those who were coming to him, and guess what, I believe he really didn’t attract people with his words. He spoke truth. I feel that it’s not being judgmental to call out things for what they are. Being judgmental is when you declare something right or wrong, it’s not when you declare things as though they are.
I really do hope my life, my thoughts and the things on my heart may be a blessing to you. Be encouraged today!